Monday, October 19, 2015

Election Day

Today is election day in Canada. We, as a nation, will head to the polls (hopefully more of us than the last time!), and make our wishes known as to who should lead us for the next few years.
It's an interesting time as various groups and individuals speak passionately about the issues they find important for a country, and as emotions can run high. Sometimes I find it a very discouraging time as these 'discussions' don't always catch us at our best.  
It got me wondering.... what if we were saddled with the responsibility of picking our real, true leader? Would we have chosen Christ? The Jewish people at the time of Christ had exactly this dilemma:  choose to honour the Roman empire, choose a messiah who would violently rescue them from oppression, or choose Christ, a self-claimed Messiah, son of God with wild and radical ideas on how to live.
I'm not sure I would have had the courage to 'take up my cross and follow' given the political climate of the day. I'm quite glad that I sit on this side of the resurrection actually, standing on the shoulders of so many before me able to unpack and realize the richness of that sacrifice.
As I head to the polls this afternoon, I will cast a ballot for my leader of choice as will many of you. Thankfully, we don't have to choose who our Messiah is. It's not a vote or a popularity contest, or even a fiscal comparison.  It's a life- and world-view. He is the LORD of all, and our LORD.  "For God so loved the WORLD, that he gave his son."  We have our leader. How now shall we live?  
Micah's message to Israel sums things up nicely:
"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do,
  what God is looking for in men and women.
It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor,
   be compassionate and loyal in your love,
And don't take yourself too seriously—
  take God seriously."  Micah 6:8 (MSG)
Whatever your vote, pray that our best example lives on for our children as they watch this democratic process. Pray that the leadership of our country (whichever claims victory this evening) takes to heart this instruction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment