Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Am I included, or do I belong?

I was speaking with a friend recently on the topic of inclusion, and how or whether we, in private Christian schools really are inclusive.
I don't have a reference for it (let me know if you know who said it!), but she left me with a quote that took a while to mentally digest:  "Inclusion means that we will include you if you show up.  Belonging means that we will look for you if you aren't there."
On the heels of an amazing weekend of support for our Christian schools, I'm watching (and celebrating) as our community diversifies.  There are some who have been a part of the fabric of our schools since before we opened.  There are others who have just discovered who we are and what we are about.  Coincidentally, this latter group is the one that often comes to us and reminds us "Do you KNOW what a great thing you have here?"  
Another long-time supporter of our schools said to me about a year ago: "I know that we're warm and friendly.  I think we can be hospitable, but we need to be taught how..."
What cultures exist in our schools that make it difficult for people to feel like they belong?  Can we build a culture that makes it easy for people to become one of 'us'? A parent new to our community celebrated with us the other day that their child had been invited to a birthday party.  That child was not just included but invited into relationship beyond the structure of a school day.  That simple act communicated to the child that they were not only included, but that they belonged.
Perhaps we have a lot to learn from our kids!  
In our adult world, what opportunities do we have to make sure that those who are new or different (or even just starting to check us out) feel welcome, and that we would look for them if they weren't there?  Are they just included, or do they truly belong?
Matthew 25:35-40   Mark 10:45

No comments:

Post a Comment