Monday, April 20, 2015

Mercy is Falling

The buds are coming, the grass is greening, the earth is waking up.  

I remember clearly from years ago the early (cold) spring rain pouring down on me as I stood laden down with spruce trees planting my way through a swamp in Northern Ontario.  On that day, about to feel grumpy and sorry for myself, my planting partner bellowed out in song across the clear cut:  "Mercy is falling, is falling, is falling. Mercy is falling like a sweet, spring rain,...."  Since that day, it is hard for me not to smile at the rain, to enjoy feeling it fall down and permeate everything, just as God's mercy does on us, his world, on everything.

As parents and educators, we are reminded that God provides for us goodness and mercy: for us, for our children, and growth and flourishing occurs! God does not wish it, he commands it:  Isaiah 45:8: Open up, heavens, and rain. Clouds, pour out buckets of my goodness!  Loosen up, earth, and bloom salvation; sprout right living.  I, God, generate all this."

Greet the rain this spring as it welcomes new growth, but just as importantly, greet the ever present mercy offered us in Christ.  Pray that together as a school community we welcome and receive his grace as we awaken to growth and becoming what God has intended us to be!!  It's God's story, for us to take hold of!!

No comments:

Post a Comment