Tuesday, April 7, 2015

When you practice something enough, it becomes a part of you.

In his book 'Outliers', Malcolm Gladwell puts forward that to truly master something, it takes 10,000 hours of practice.  People who spend that much time practicing not only love it, but end up 'doing' their task effortlessly; without even thinking about it.  As I walked through the front doors of Covenant this morning, I was greeted again with the theme for the year "Taking Hold of God's Story". Coming off of Easter celebrations, listening once again to the story which is the climax of our faith, I was struck at how that story is so infused in all we do.  The Easter story is the core of our faith, the core of our school, the core of our lives. Christ died for us so that we do not have to bear the consequences of sin, but can live in right relationship with God once again.  
Living as 'Easter People', how many hours have we practiced?  Do our lives bear the hallmarks of practice, or is our time spent on other things that detract from that story?  If we practice harsh language, pride, deceitfulness, ill-will, ungrace, they will become a part of us.  If we practice, practice, practice taking hold of God's story, it will become a part of us.
We are Easter People.  Pray that the Easter story may be practiced at Covenant every minute of every hour of every day.  By the time our students graduate, they will have practiced 10,000 hours, and they will have 'Taken Hold of God's Story', and can rejoice as Paul does in his letter to the Galatians (2: 20):
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment