Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Weaving Christ into Habit and Celebration

I watched over the weekend as my family pulled away from the 'busy-ness' of everyday life and was able to enjoy a long weekend.  Thanksgiving.  It was a relatively typical Thanksgiving weekend as I look through my Facebook feed this morning and see that so many other families engaged in similar activities: Driving to family, preparation of a large meal, hikes in the fall colours, and games with siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends.
I spent some time yesterday with a cousin paging through a photo album of 'Thanksgivings past' which documented my father's extended family and their celebrations over the years.  Along with comment of how styles have changed, how some of our family members are no longer with us, and how we've grown, there was a distinct sense of God's faithfulness and providence.  I recall over the years the ways in which Christ was made present at and invited to each gathering and how instrumental my family and extended family was in affirming and re-affirming that God is good, all the time.  Even, and perhaps especially, in the not-so-good times.
As a school community, it is that same habit that we seek to build daily.  God is here in our hallways.  He is in our every day.  He is present when we celebrate, and in the everyday routine;  when we begin the day, and when we end it; and when we learn everything in between.  God is good, all the time.
Some day in the distant future, when your kids look back to school days past, it is my prayer that they will remember that most poignantly, and that it will have carried on into their everyday and into their celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment